The swimming pool is leaking! Is it the liner loosing water or is it the pump, filter or pool fittings?
This pool liner is old and lost its vibrant colouring. Some of the coping stones were loose. but all were taken up and relayed with a new liner-lock track fitted before the pool liner replacement
Finding the leak (or leaks) can be in the pipework, pump, filter heater too holes or tears in the lining
Possible causes of a leaking liner pool are:
- Old age, general wear and tear, pinholes.
- Accidental damage
- Sharp objects that have fallen into the pool.
- Youngster pole vaulting.
- An animal has strayed and fell in.
THE POOL FITTING.
- Skimmer has cracked.
- Pool return gaskets deteriorated.
- Main drain gasket has failed.
- Underwater light leaking through cracked niche or hockey stick (cable conduit).
The circulation system (Pipework, valves).
Possible causes of leaking pipework.
- Poor workmanship, not jointed or connected correctly.
- Frost damage leading to cracked pipes and valves
- Ground movement leading to the underground pipework splitting or disjointing.
- Accidental damage to pipes, caused by excavating.
The filter, heating and pumps
Possible causes of leaking
- Filter connections and gaskets damaged or degraded.
- Multi-port spider gasket, O’ring has degraded or damaged.
- Drain valve broken.
- Filter unit has cracked.
- Pump leaking through joints, broken gaskets, ceramic seal on the impeller
Renew the gaskets and o’rings, replacement pump and multi-port . It’s rare does the filter need changing
Repairs or replacement?
Depending on the nature of the leak in a liner pool, sometimes these can be repaired underwater.
However the liner maybe to old and brittle to repair and in the end there is no alternative but to install a replacement liner.
There is a range of liner colours and patterns to chose from.If the swimming pool is looked after, winterised & summerised correctly, has a good pool maintenance record, regular checks on correct pH, total alkalinity, chemical balance then serious leaks and repairs should be a rare occurrence. A pool liner could last around 8 to 10 years or even longer in some cases.
For more information on liner pools contact John Cox TnISPE (Cert).