The pool water balancing act
To get clean sparkling swimming pool water, balancing the water is about getting its chemical makeup just right and the pH of the water just above 7
What is pH?
pH is a measure of the acidity of an aqueous solution (Water). So an aqueous solutions with a pH less than 7 are said to be “acidic”, and solutions with a pH greater than 7 are neutral or alkaline. Pure water has a pH very close to 7.
Balancing the swimming pool water
The pH scale is numbered 1 up to 14
1 = Acid and 14 = Alkaline
The pH of pool water on the scale 1 to 14, needs to be above 7 (between 7.2 and 7.6)
How to get your swimming pool water sparkling
There are 3 basic elements to getting & maintaining clear, sparkling pool water.
Get these 3 factors under control, and you may have the perfect inviting sparkling swimming pool.
However, let these 3 factors get out of control and you will have problems, from a green pool to cloudy water, skin irritation, chemical stains and scale formation, the list goes on and it can take days to get your pool back to balance.
Prevention is better than cure.
To keep your swimming pool sparkling here are the key 3 points to keep a check on:
1. First key to sparkling, clear, swimming pool water is the Total Alkalinity Level:
- Total Alkalinity (TA for short) is the measure of water’s resistance to change in pH of water. A higher TA acts like a buffer.
- Another way of looking at this is the TA is like a “shock absorber on a car It stops the car bouncing around erratically.
- So the higher the Total Alkalinity, the harder it is for the pH to change. The ideal range for Total Alkalinity levels is between 80 to 120 ppm. (Parts per million)
- Make sure you check the total alkalinity levels once a week
- Maintaining a proper pH balance is one of the most important and basic areas of good pool care this helps keep your pool crystal clear. The ideal range is between 7.2 -7.6.
- You should check the pH levels once a week.
- Use pH+ or – the raise or lower the waters pH level.
3. Third key to a sparkling swimming pool Proper Sanitation:
- Whether you are using traditional chlorine or non-chlorine products, you cannot underestimate the importance of good sanitation with your pool water.
- Sanitising is imperative to keeping clean the pool water, killing all bacteria and safe for swimmers to user.
- Sanitising furthermore kills all microorganisms, including bacteria and algae, and removes unwanted contaminants from the pool water.
- Pool water that is sparkling and that’s pleasant to the eyes is most important to pool owners.
Some swimming pool owners don’t enjoy the chemistry bit of swimming pools trying to understand all the jargon of what to do and why each chemical does a certain thing.
Keep these 3 key factors for pool water balance right, and your pool water will stay sparkling and in balance