There are several check lists below to assist you in finding the possible reasons why your swimming pool is leaking
If the liner installed has been bedded in for a long time and has had numerous repairs and patches, it maybe false economy to continue repairing the liner, so consider whether it’s better to replace it altogether?
The bonus for replacing your vinyl liner is your pool should almost look brand new again. If you decide it’s worth changing your liner before installing the liner pressure clean the surrounds and the pools coping stones or if they are worn have them replaced
First of all an example of why it maybe time to change the pool liner
This example (to the right) in this pool liner image is that it looks old and has lost its vibrant colouring. It had pin hole leaks as well as some tears in the liner.
Some of the coping stones were loose and dangerous, all the coping stones were taken up and relayed, before relaying we removed the old liner lock and fixed new track then the pool liner was replaced
The vinyl liner
What are the possible causes for water to leak out of a liner pool?
- Old age, general wear and tear, pinholes.
- Accidental damage.
- Sharp objects that have fallen into the pool.
- Youngsters pole vaulting.
- A large animal strayed and fell in.
Answer more often than not is: Replace the pool liner or renovate the pool
It may not be the liner that is leaking but it could be the pool fittings
- Check the skimmer for cracks.
- Pool return gaskets have deteriorated.
- Main drain gasket has failed.
- Underwater light is leaking through a cracked niche or hockey stick (cable conduit).
The circulation system (Pipework, valves).
The possible causes of leaking pipework are:
- Poor workmanship, that is the pools pipework is not jointed or connected correctly in places.
- Frost damage leading to cracked pipes and valves.
- Ground movement leads to underground pipework splitting or disjointing.
- Accidental damage to pipes, caused by excavating.
The reason for replacing all the pipework is simple. When you’ve excavated one section down to the pipework that’s leaking and repaired it. there’s always the potential for another leak to appear in the pipework. later in time. which will cost more in the long run and is a false economy, so sometimes it’s better to replace the lot then you know that the pipework laid is not leaking. (assuming the pipework is done correctly.
The filter, heating and the pool pump
The possible causes of leaking.
- Filter connections and gaskets damaged or degraded.
- Multi-port spider gasket, O’ring has degraded or damaged.
- Drain valve broken.
- Filter unit has cracked.
- Pump leaking through joints, broken gaskets, ceramic seal on the impeller
Renew the gaskets and o’rings, replacement pump and multi-port . It’s rare does the filter need changing
Repairs or replacement?
Depending on the nature of the leak in a liner pool, sometimes these can be repaired underwater.
However the liner maybe to old and brittle to repair and in the end there is no alternative but to install a replacement liner.
There is a range of liner colours and patterns to chose from.If the swimming pool is looked after, winterised & summerised correctly, has a good pool maintenance record, regular checks on correct pH, total alkalinity, chemical balance then serious leaks and repairs should be a rare occurrence. A pool liner could last around 8 to 10 years or even longer in some cases.
For more information on liner pools contact John Cox TnISPE (Cert).
I cover most area including London Bristol Cardiff Hereford Worcester Gloucester Monnmouth Chepstow Oxford Swansea Cowbridge Bridgend Ross-on-Wye Newport Abergavenny Somerset Bath Salisbury.